When planning your trip abroad, whether for a holiday or business, do you consider medical insurance coverage?
You may have primary health care at home, but does it have you covered when you’re traveling internationally? Most times, it doesn’t. This is the time to look for the best travel medical insurance you can find on the market – before you leave home.
If you’re thinking it’s not necessary to have the cost for international travel insurance factored into your travel budget, think again.
What would happen if you and your family have a car accident in a foreign country?
If you’re not speaking the same language as the doctor treating you or your family, you could be left feeling bewildered! Translation assistance is one way this kind of insurance can help you.
Travel medical insurance assists you in times of medical emergencies and even in times when you’ve simply lost your prescription. When traveling abroad, these problems could become monumental if you’re in unfamiliar surroundings.
Having international medical travel insurance will give you peace of mind. You’ll be in the best hands possible when encountering unexpected medical problems abroad.
- International Travel Medical Insurance | Compare Plans
- Atlas Travel® Insurance
- International Travel Health Insurance
- Patriot Travel Medical Insurance – IMG
- Aetna international | International Medical Insurance
|Product Name||Top Features||Average Rating (out of 5)|
|Seven Corners: Liaison Travel Plus (Best Overall)|| ||4,8/5|
|TokioMarineHCC: Atlas Travel Insurance (Best Budget))|| ||4,6/5|
|GeoBlue: Voyager Plans International Travel Insurance (Best for U.S Citizens Traveling Abroad)|| ||4,7/5|
|IMG: Patriot Travel Medical Insurance (Best for Individuals, families & groups)|| ||4,6/5|
|Aetna: International Medical Insurance (Best for Expatriates)|| ||4,2/5|
Liaison Travel Plus (Seven Corners)
Some medical travel insurance companies will include coverage for your trip as well as medical expenses. When your trip is interrupted, unbudgeted expenses could make you squirm! To avoid unnecessary financial burdens, taking out medical insurance that includes trip interruptions and baggage protection makes sense.
- Coverage ranges from 5 days to 1 year, renewable for 3 years
- Worldwide coverage for all nationalities
- Maximum medical coverage ranges from $50,000 to $1,000,000 (age-dependent)
- Deductible options ranging from $0 to $5,000 (age-dependent)
- Coinsurance options range from 90% of the first $5,000 within the U.S to 100% outside of the U.S.
- Inpatient and outpatient treatments covered up to medical maximum
- Acute onset of pre-existing conditions up to $10,000 (14 days old to 64 years old) and $5,000 (64 to 74 years old) within the U.S. Outside of the U.S, $50,000 (14 days old to 64 years old) and $5,000 (64 to 74 years old)
- Emergency medical evacuation and repatriation up to $500,000
- COVID-19 related expenses covered
Why Do You Need This Plan?
When illnesses and injuries incur while at home, you normally know what to do. When they happen on trips abroad, stress can have enormous consequences. Having medical assistance in a foreign country will alleviate these worries for you.
- Specific Liaison Plans for students and their families
- Emergency medical evacuations coverage separate from medical maximum
- Includes travel expenses incurred by trip interruptions, baggage loss, loss of travel documents, and travel delays
- Medical maximums lower for over 74 years old
- Deductibles options higher for over 74 years old
- 30-day limit on hospital liability outside of the U.S.
Having the option to extend your medical travel insurance makes this deal an attractive option. You can also add coverage for hazardous sports.
Atlas Travel Insurance (TokioMarine HCC)
This product has all short-term business or leisure trips covered when taken out as medical insurance. Whether you’re a family or a student traveling, or on a business trip, your medical needs are protected with this plan. It provides for all nationalities traveling abroad anywhere in the world.
Medical coverage is available for trips from 5 days to 1 year. You’ll have a choice of minimum to maximum medical coverage cost as well as deductible options. This gives you overall flexibility when planning with a budget while still getting the best travel medical insurance.
- Maximum medical options ranging from $50,000 to $2,000,000
- Deductible options ranging from $0 to $5,000
- Coinsurance is covered after deductible for all eligible expenses
- Inpatient and outpatient medical expenses covered with specified limits included
- Local ambulance covered
- Emergency dental (up to $300) and eye exams (up to $150) covered
- Acute onset of pre-existing conditions covered for those under 80 years old
- Emergency medical evacuation
Why Do You Need This Plan?
The Atlas Travel Plan is customizable for travelers wanting coverage for specific needs while traveling abroad. When the unexpected medical expenses crop up, this plan will have you sorted as it can be your life-saver should you encounter a worst-case scenario while traveling.
- No co-payment for medical claims made outside of the U.S.
- Bedside visit included in the coverage
- 24/7 worldwide medical assistance
- COVID-19 medical support included
- Chronic and congenital conditions are excluded from coverage
If it’s short-term medical insurance coverage you’re looking for with customizable and affordable features, this plan is the best for you.
Voyager Plans International Travel Insurance (GeoBlue)
These plans are designed for single trip medical insurance coverage. With the option of choosing between the Voyager Choice and Voyager Essential, you should pick the best one. This product is perfect for international business, leisure, or missionary travel.
A choice of varying medical maximums and deductibles will help you stick to your budget. If your concerns are pre-existing conditions, you’re covered. Trips of up to six months are covered using these plans.
- Voyager Choice covers for ages 84 years and younger, while the Voyager Essential covers for 74 years & younger
- Maximum medical benefits range from $50,000 to $1,000,000 per person (plan and age-dependent)
- Deductibles range from $0 to $500 (plan and age dependent)
- Inpatient and outpatient treatments covered up to 100% after deductible is met
- Dental, prescriptions, and physical therapy are included up to 100% of limits after deductibles are met
Why Do You Need This Plan?
You’ve been planning your dream holiday for months. But you’re still wondering which is the best international travel health insurance for a single trip. These plan options could be your answer.
- Hazardous activities such as skiing and scuba diving are covered
- Mental health and substance abuse covered up to policy’s maximum limit
- Voyager Essential does not require you to have a primary health care plan
- No pre-hospital certification penalty
- Voyager Choice requires membership of a primary health care plan
- Only available for U.S. citizens
A single trip plan for medical insurance coverage minimizes the hassles of dealing with long-term medical or health insurance plans.
Patriot Travel Medical Insurance (IMG)
If you’re looking for medical care while traveling, this product offers temporary coverage for families, individuals, and groups. Both leisure and business trips are included in this plan. The biggest mistake many travelers make is assuming their primary health care plan has them covered when they travel internationally.
- Maximum limit from $1,000,000 to $8,000,000 (plan dependent)
- Deductibles range from $0 to $25,000 (plan dependent)
- Medical evacuations from $1,000,000 to maximum limit
- Extensions from 24 months to 36 months
Why Do You Need This Plan?
These plans not only give you a wide choice of plans to choose from, but you can use them within the U.S or outside of the U.S.
- Available in daily and monthly rates
- Freedom to choose your doctor or medical facility for treatment
- Coinsurance features only available for travel within the U.S.
- Acute onset of pre-existing conditions not included on all plans
International travel insurance costs needn’t break your bank! By picking from a variety of options, you’ll find the best fit for you and your family.
Aetna: International Medical Insurance
When looking for the best international travel health insurance for you and your family, this product will have you covered. Tailored plans are designed for internationals residing in many countries worldwide. These are based on where you’re moving to and where you’re coming from.
- Medical and pharmacy care coverage
- Inpatient and outpatient treatment coverage
- Emergency assistance and medical evacuation services
- Cancer care
- Broad network of doctors and health care facilities
- 24-hour counseling service
- Maternity coverage
- Dental coverage
- Well-being services
Why Do You Need This Plan?
Working and living in a foreign country means you need to be extra-aware of available medical services. Not only can they be expensive but they may not always be the best. This product gives you peace of mind as an expatriate, knowing you’re covered for all unexpected medical eventualities.
- Excellent medical coverage for expatriates and international citizens living abroad
- Specific plans for U.S. and Canadian citizens & other nationalities
- Includes 24/7 online doctor services
- These plans do not cover individuals residing in the United States
- Highly regulated plans not available in all countries
- Does not offer travel or trip insurance plans
If you’re looking for the best international travel health insurance product while residing in another country, this is your best pick.
Questions To Ask Yourself Before Choosing The Best Travel Medical Insurance
Ask yourself the following when deciding which is the best travel medical insurance for you:
- Am I looking for short-or long-term travel medical insurance?
- Will my dependents be covered?
- Am I too old for the insurance plan I’m reviewing?
- What are the maximum limits and deductibles?
- Will all my medical emergencies be covered adequately?
- Can I renew the plan I choose?
- Is customer service good?
These are only some of the questions you should be asking yourself when reviewing medical care for traveling.
Traveling should be done with minimal fuss and worry. When it comes down to picking the best travel medical insurance, the Seven Choices Liaison Travel Plus Plan has you well covered, medically. From decent medical limits and deductibles, emergency medical evacuation, COVID-19 support, and renewable for up to 3 years, this plan ticks most boxes.